It’s that time of year again! We are collecting shoe (-sized) boxes packed with goodies to send to those in need:
Luxembourg-wide our aim this year is 800! Is it possible? Some have suggested 1000…
It really is a fabulous way to help our children and many adults experience the JOY OF GIVING in a very practical, fun way!
A huge thank you from the many children of Rumania and Moldavia that were blessed by the boxes we sent last year. Our boxes will be distributed by churches again but given to different children who have never had a gift before.
Evelyne Reinhardt (Regional leader for Weihnachten im Schuhkarton) emphasized again how poor most of these families are and how many children are left for long with old relatives while the parents are away trying to find work. Some of the street children took a while to understand that they didn’t have to choose one thing for the box, but that the whole box was for them. Many times they were met with blank stares for the children as they were simply completely overwhelmed by this blessing.
The biggest need for boxes is for boys in the age groups 2-4 and 10-14. There are often not enough boxes for them and they then get boxes for girls but are grateful nonetheless. Please can we focus on these boys again this year?
AGE GROUPS: Boy or Girl 2-4, 5-9, 10-15
It is important to emphasize that each medium sized shoebox should include one or more of each of the following items:
– Small items of winter clothing
– A small NEW cuddly toy and another age appropriate toy
– Hygiene items – toothbrushes in original packing, toothpaste, soap in plastic bag, facecloth – (fragranced articles are to be packed in a little plastic bag)
– Sweets and chocolate – note restrictions
– School items – very important and needed for 5-9 and 10-14 age groups
– A personal card or letter and 6 Euros.
The children all love cuddly toys regardless of the age groups. The children from 5 upwards really need exercise books and school material as they usually have nothing.
The restrictions for the sweet apply again. No sweets with gelatine BUT plain milk chocolate is very welcome, but no nuts, coconut, biscuit or any fillings in chocolate.
- Let’s not forget the 6 Euros for each box and encourage people to make donations if they are unable or unwilling to pack boxes. Please also only include new, unused items in the boxes.
HOW CAN OUR PARISH HELP?
* Last year we collected around 105 boxes – can we exceed this year?
* There are different 3 different ways you can contribute:
you can simply donate money
you can prepare your own shoebox – Information leaflets on website or at the back of the church after mass. It is important that each box contains a specific range of NEW items and that you are familiar with the list of authorized / unauthorized items.
there will be a sale at church after mass on Saturday 11th and Sunday 12th October. It is advisable that you simply bring an empty, wrapped shoe-box (as we only have a limited number of boxes ourselves). There will be plenty quality-at-good-price items of each category (school / hygiene / clothes / sweets / toys) and for each gender and age group for sale for you to fill your boxes on the spot.
* Michele will need some volunteers to help with the sales tables on October 11 / 12. Please contact her if you are interested in helping.
* Deadline to hand in the box is Sunday 19th October 2014