The celebration of First Holy Communion is one of the annual highlights of our parish life, and is a joyful, life-giving event in our community. Fittingly, our next celebration will be on May 29th 2016, the Feast of Corpus Christi, the Body and Blood of Christ.
Registration for First Holy Communion classes for candidates wishing to make their Communion next year (May 29th 2016) is on Sunday 18 October after the 11:15 Mass, in the parish meeting room (the opposite side of the garden/parking to the church.
To be clear at the outset, to be eligible:
- A child must be 8 years old by 01 January 2016
- Present their certificate of Baptism on application
- Be a member of the English-speaking Catholic community (i.e. attend the English-speaking Mass at St Alphonse)
- Attend the preparation classes
- Complete the application process in time for the start of classes on 25 October
- Parents must be willing to be involved in some classes or in some aspect of preparing for the celebration on May 29th
Any exception to the conditions above must be agreed by Robert Foley, the organiser of the FHC programme, and myself. These conditions are in place to help both the preparation and the FHC Mass run smoothly, to assist the organiser and catechists in their responsibilities, and to ensure the best preparation and experience for all the children and parents involved.
A special website has been set up with all relevant information — I’ll post the address later this week.